Matched Bases & Casings– Base moulding runs along the bottom of the wall, whereas, casing is used for trimming out doors and windows.

More Bases- Also called baseboard is a piece of decorative wood moulding that runs along the bottom of a wall. Usually a wide board that is used for hiding any unevenness in the transition where the wall meets the floor.

More Casings- The decorative wood moulding that frames either a door or a window to hide the transition where the wall meets a window or door. Casing is typically narrower and thicker than base.

Crowns- Also called crown moulding is a piece of decorative wood moulding used as a transition between an interior wall and ceiling; typically much wider than even base moulding, but can be smaller. Most often, different profiles of crown are used to create a wider and more decorative look.

Chair Rails- The decorative wood moulding placed horizontally part way up the wall, parallel to any
base or crown, and typically encircling the room. Chair rail was originally used to protect the wall surface from chair backs, but now it is often used simply as decoration. It can be made from more than one piece of moulding to build up the effect, especially when used in conjunction with wainscoting.
Click HERE for a printable PDF of chair rail examples

Plan Ons & Astragals- An interior moulding attached to a pair of doors or sash in order to prevent swing-through. Astragal ensures a tight fit where the doors meet; a flat astragal is one applied to the face of the meeting stile of the door and a T astragal is rabbeted (notched) to the approximate thickness of the swinging door.

Panel Moulds & Picture Frames- Panel moulds are a decorative moulding used to trim out raised- panel wall construction or wainscot and can also be used for framing pictures or artwork. Picture fame moulding is used along the perimeter of the walls near the ceiling line to support hooks for picture hanging.

Inside & Outside Corners- Moulding used to protect the edge of the wall from damage at either an inside or outside corner. Inside corners or cove are usually a concave profile used to soften the transition between two planes at right angles to each other as on the inside of a vertical corner as a corner guard. Outside corners are opposite where the right angle is cut in the moulding to protect a convex corner.

Tongue & Groove, Paneling & Siding – Tongue and groove is a method of fitting similar objects together, edge to edge, used mainly with wood, in flooring, paneling, and similar constructions. Tongue and groove joints allow two flat pieces to be joined strongly together to make a single flat surface.

Hand Rail & Bar Rail- A handrail is a rail that is designed to be grasped by the hand so as to provide stability or support; usually used on stairs. Handrails are typically supported by posts or mounted directly to walls. Solid wood bar rail molding is used to create an arm rest on the edge of a bar, service, sales or pass through counter.

Quarter, Half & Full Rounds- Quarter round moulding that’s 1/4 of a full circle rod and may be used as a base shoe or inside-corner moulding. Half Rounds look like a half circle and are used primarily as decorative trim. It works well as a trim piece for wall paper or to add a decorative pattern to flat panels. This profile can also be used to put a rounded edge on various shelving. Full Rounds are rod-shaped millwork used as closet poles, curtain rods and/or towel bars.